Sunday, October 20, 2019

Two Rucks in One Post

This past week was MEA (Minnesota Educators Association) week which means the kids didn't have school Thursday or Friday. A couple of months ago a coworker pitched the idea of taking both of our families to Historic Nauvoo and sharing an Airbnb for the weekend. We decided to go for that so on Friday I was in Nauvoo and on Saturday we traveled back. Friday I had planned to go to the day 5 workout of the Ruck.Training Tough training schedule for week 10. This included 20 thrusters, 20 4-count flutter kicks, 20 8-count man makers, and 20 sit-ups. I decided to do all but the sit-ups with the ruck. Then there were two miles after that "warm-up," one of which was with a sandbag.

Since I didn't know the area very well I kinda guessed how far I should go through downtown Nauvoo to get a half-mile, ruck back, get the sandbag and repeat. Turns out my .5 mile was .75 miles instead and I ended up doing three miles instead of two. My body is definitely tougher than it used to be, but a total of 4.5 sandbag miles in one weak left its mark.

Saturday we traveled back from Nauvoo which is about a 5-hour drive, six with a baby who needs to eat every 2-3 hours. Also, Xarra didn't sleep well that night and Lily wasn't feeling well so we were interrupted by both during the night. Serena and I didn't get a good night's sleep. When we got home, we took Lily to the urgent care to get tested for strep. Lily isn't a fan of being swabbed so we were there for much too long. We got home, gave all the kids baths, picked up Lily's antibiotics and get everyone in bed. Needless to say, by the time I got out for my last long ruck before my event, it was 10:15. Fortunately, it was a gorgeous, though chilly, night. I was supposed to do a night ruck as part of the Tough guide, but I was sick that week. This was my chance! It was surprising to me how many cars were still on the road at 1:00 am. Besides being a lovely night and enjoying the time out, my feet didn't blister at all even though I did 12 miles. My feet have finally decided that they're okay rucking long distances. I got home, showered, ate a bit, and went to bed. I was definitely tired today, but so much I couldn't manage. Depending on how much PT we do in the event this week, I don't think I'll be out of commission for too long. I'm definitely planning on taking at least one week off to recover and heal back up.

So with the rest of miles for the week and the two rucks from the weekend, I'm up to 59.5 miles for the UWVC challenge.


No comments:

Post a Comment