Sunday, October 13, 2019

14 Mile Ruck

I started out at 7 pm. I knew it was going to be cold so I upped my gear from normal. It was a good trial run for the GORUCK Tough challenge I'll be doing in a couple of weeks in Milwaukee. The weather for that looks to be down into the 40s. That's going to change, of course, but it's good to have an idea to prepare.

Anyway, my gear consisted of an upper and lower body base layer (32 Degrees Heat brand base layers from Costco), my normal gear (expedition pants, Darn Tough socks, Injinni sock liners, MACV-1 boots, Mechanix gloves, baseball hat), REI windbreaker, and ear warmers.

It was pretty windy and I saw flurries of snowflakes at multiple points during the ruck. I was very glad to have the windbreaker to cut the wind and the ruck on my back to keep me heated up. I would take a mid-layer in the future if the temperature was the same or colder. I might also take a little bit more insulated gloves if it was colder.

I took a wrong turn by one of the lakes in town so instead of being a 13-mile ruck, it turned into a 14-mile ruck. It was a little tough mentally, especially as I got to the end because of the mistake and toll on my body. My feet were getting really sore and my shoulders were smoked. I was warm enough, but I knew if I stopped moving I'd get cold. In the end, I was in good enough spirits to smile for the Endex picture.



No comments:

Post a Comment