Monday, June 6, 2011

Finland pt. 1

I’m back!
Never thought you’d see another posting on this blog, did ya?
I’ve had some amazing adventures this summer and they’re not over, so before things get super crazy I thought I’d start sharing.
I had the fantastic opportunity, thanks to my beautiful wife and BYU, to go to Finland and Russia for nearly a month to learn about different cultures and healthcare systems. This study abroad is part of the nursing curriculum at BYU. The students in this class were spread out to Tonga, Ghana, Ecuador, Finland/Russia, Urban/VA population, Utah refugees, Utah At-Risk population, Taiwan, Navajo Nation and India. I’m sure all the groups would say the same, but my group definitely had the best experience.
I think the whole trip will have to be spread out over a few posts because we did a lot and learned a lot. I don’t have the focus to type up a huge summary nor the mental capacity to condense it all into a short summary. So here are some pictures from the first few days of our trip. We flew from Chicago to Copenhagen, then to Helsinki. We stayed a few days in Helsinki to adjust to the time change and get some cultural experiences. We also visited Tallinn, Estonia for most of a day while in Helsinki.
clip_image002
The whole group right outside the Helsinki Airport (our last member is taking the photo)
clip_image004
This is half an archway leading into old Tallinn. I thought it humorous that underneath the small arch you can see a McDonalds. Typical.
clip_image006
Me and Jean Sibelius. Sibelius, through his music, helped Finland form a national identity when it was trying to gain independence from Russia at the turn of the 20th century.
clip_image008
I just had to include this one, it has my name on it!

No comments:

Post a Comment